Tuesday, December 4, 2012

10 things to keep in your Kitchen

There are certain things I ALWAYS have in my kitchen, I've come up with a list of 10, and I'd like to share them with you:

  1. Kosher Salt - I use salt whenever I cook, it brings out the natural flavors in foods and provides a level of flavor you can't achieve with any other seasoning.
  2. Extra Virgin Olive Oil - a staple in my kitchen.  I use it for sautéing and in a lot of my recipes.  It's a healthy alternative that provides a lot of flavor.
  3. Balsamic Vinegar - one of my all time favorite vinegars (actually made from grapes), easy to cook with and gives dishes an acidic quality.
  4. Fresh Garlic - I use garlic in almost everything I cook.  Fresh is the way to go, you lose some flavor and quality if you buy the pre-cut pre-packaged garlic.  Garlic has a long shelf life and is relatively inexpensive so it's easy to keep around.
  5. Lemons - whether for the zest or the juice I like to keep lemons in my fridge.  They are versatile can be used in cooking and or drinks.  Lemons are also good for cleaning.
  6. Black Pepper - I love to use black pepper to season my food.  It gives it a hint of spice that is often undetectable, but still there.
  7. Vanilla - vanilla is often seen as only used for baking, but it can also be used in cooking.  I feel that it can easily add depth to many dishes.
  8. Eggs - In general I eat a lot of eggs so I always have them handy.  You never know when you're going to need an egg.
  9. Onions/Shallots - like garlic onions and shallots are very versatile and can go in almost any dish.  They also have a long shelf life and are easy to store.  Just don't keep them by the potatoes, they tend to rot quicker.
  10. Sugar - Sugar is often a staple in a lot of kitchens.  Whether used in baking or to sweeten a sauce, it's a good item to have in your pantry.





No comments:

Post a Comment